Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Happy “THANKS”giving





What are you most THANKFUL for this Thanksgiving? Research shows, there are benefits to giving thanks – not just gratitude for what we have, but expressing gratitude to those who bless us. Consider the benefits below, and then set out to write a “gratitude letter,” or verbally tell that special person what they mean to you.  This could be a new holiday tradition that empowers you to impact someone who deserves your heartfelt appreciation. What does gratitude do for you?
  • It boosts your immune system.
College students who kept gratitude journals for three weeks were less likely than their peers to catch colds or flu. Many Facebook friends have been writing daily thankfulness this November, keep it up… it helps you put things into perspective.
  • It strengthens relationships.
Expressing gratitude to the people in your life leaves them feeling appreciated. This past weekend my husband gave me the weekend off! HE took care of all the daily responsibilities and more…he wanted me to feel special and important to him, and I DID! Everyone wants to feel acknowledged for the good they contribute. Gratitude and adoration promotes goodwill and inspires more of it.

My husband and I had to ask ourselves…how long since we have thanked the teacher who puts up with our children? When is the last time we thanked our parents for loving and nurturing us through those sick days as a child? How long since we have thanked the kid who delivers our newspaper in all kinds of weather, or the mailman?

We are quick to criticize, but so slow to give praise where it is deserved. But why should we take time to thank these people?
Noticing what’s good in your life keeps you from over-focusing on what you think is not so good. Whenever you begin to feel down, ask yourself, “What can I be grateful for? Or “who am I grateful for?
I challenge you to create a new gratitude ritual that will strengthen bonds and relationships: It’s called the “attitude of gratitude.” Try doing it this Thanksgiving over your holiday dinner – get the whole family involved. Start with choosing someone you are grateful for. Who in your life has impacted you, believed in you, or helped you in ways that cause your heart to overflow with appreciation? Now share you gratitude for them; maybe they are sitting at the table with you…
I am thankful for my parents, Bill & Martha Holland who gave me life.
 

 May you have a blessed holiday~


Contact Nancy Larson @my.healthiswealth@comcast.net

No comments:

Post a Comment